School District Homepage
|School District of Philadelphia|
|Policy and Procedures|
|Classification||Assault on School Employees|
|Date Issued||September 1979|
|Issued by||Law Department|
Administrative Bulletin #2
Memo: File #200, 5/10/65
|Review Before||To be determined|
The following procedures are to be observed by principals, or their designees, in cases of assault on school employees:
A. When an employee suffers physical injury, medical assistance is to be secured immediately.
B. The police are to be notified promptly if the case involves the use of weapons, drugs, alcohol, and/or serious injuries.
C The Cluster Office and Office of School Safety are to be notified immediately.
D. If the employee wishes to prosecute the alleged assailant (s), the employee is to be authorized to contact the Office of School Safety regarding procedures for swearing out a private, criminal complaint.
1. The employee is to complete a detailed report of the incident at the Office of School Safety.
2. Arrangements for court dates, workmen's compensation, and meeting with an attorney will be made through the Office of School Safety.
E. The Incident Control Desk is to be notified, and a serious incident report is to be filed containing the following information:
1. Names and addresses of witnesses
2. Date, location, and time of the incident
3. Description of the incident
4. Nature of employees' injury
5. Name of hospital or doctor treating the employee
6. Name(s) and address(es) of the alleged assailant (s)
7. Decision of the employee to prosecute or not to prosecute
8. If an arrest is made, the name, badge number and police district of the arresting officer are to be included.
F. Assault is a criminal matter, and cases are prosecuted by the District Attorney's Office.
G. The Law Department and Office of School Safety are to be consulted for assistance.