Date Adopted: April 27, 1981
Date Revised: December 17, 1990
- The Board shall operate the schools of this district for the benefit
of children resident in this district and eligible for attendance.
The Board may permit admission of nonresident students in accordance
with the terms of this policy.
- The Board reserves the right to verify the residency of any student
and to require a sworn statement of residential support for the student
who resides with a person other than his/her parent, guardian or custodian.
- A pupil whose parent is not a resident of Philadelphia may not be
admitted to a Philadelphia public school without authorization from
the Superintendent through the Division of Subsidies.
- The above provision does not apply to students placed in foster
homes or institutions.
3. Delegation of Responsibility
- Nonresident Children Placed in the District
- Any child placed in the home of a resident of this district
by a court or an agency of government shall be admitted to the
schools and shall receive the same benefits and be subject to the
same duties as resident children; provided that the Board reserves
the right prior to such placement and within two (2) weeks of the
written request of the potential custodian of the child to the
Superintendent, to deny the child's admission when conditions exist
which should exempt this district from the responsibility of admitting
the nonresident custodial child.
- A student residing in a foster home, who transfers to another Philadelphia
public school, does not require a new authorization form.
- Residents of Institutions
- A child who is a resident of an institution for the care or
training of children located within this district, is not a legal
resident of the district by such placement, but shall be admitted
to the schools of this district and a charge shall be made for
tuition in accordance with statute. A student residing in an institution
who transfers to another Philadelphia public school does not require
a new authorization form.
- Former Residents
- Regularly enrolled children who have moved out of the school
district may be permitted to attend the Philadelphia public schools.
Tuition must be paid by the parent or the district in which the
- If the family of a student moves from the city and wishes the student
to attend a Philadelphia school until the end of the school year, or
longer, approval must first be obtained from the Division of Subsidies.
- Other Nonresident Students
- A nonresident student may be admitted to this district on payment
of tuition where attendance is justified on the grounds that the
student lives full-time and not just for the school year with district
residents who have assumed legal guardianship of the student or
a student visiting this country as an exchange student.
- Relationship of the person registering the nonresident pupil for
enrollment must be established. If the adult is other than the parent,
the address of the parent must be obtained.
- In cases of delegation of responsibility, approval of the District
Superintendent is requested.
- Pupils Residing Outside Philadelphia with Their Parents or
- A student residing outside of Philadelphia must receive the
approval of the District Superintendent at the school involved.
- Admission and Transfer/Regular Grades
- Acceptable proof of residence includes rent book, deed, lease,
voter registration, driver's license, or proof of automobile non-fault
- The Superintendent shall develop procedures for enrollment of
nonresident children which admit such children only on the proper
application of the parent or guardian; do not exclude any child,
otherwise eligible, on the basis of such child's race, creed, color,
national origin or ancestry; verify claims of residency; deny admission
where the educational facilities or program maintained for the children
of this district is inadequate to meet the needs of the applicant;
and make continued enrollment of any nonresident student contingent
upon maintaining good standards of citizenship and discipline.
- The Board shall not be responsible for the transportation to or
from school of any student residing outside of school district boundaries.
State School Codes: Sections 501, 1301, 1302, 1305, 1306-9